Friday, September 28, 2012

7 quick takes: take 9

Long week, hopefully not so long takes. Joining Jen and the ladies ova here!

1. My aforementioned funky mood was remedied on Wednesday by a husband who replicated this recipe. Delish. 

1 lb boneless top sirloin steak
1 3-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3 fat cloves garlic
6 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons medium dry Sherry
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons sugar (regular or brown)
1 ½ lbs broccoli
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Accompaniment: steamed rice (we used brown rice)
Freeze steak until solid and partially frozen, 3 to 4 hours. (I left ours in the freezer until we needed it;)
Combine ginger, garlic, soy sauce, Sherry (or sparkling wine you may have won on your honeymoon...), sesame oil, and sugar in a bowl until sugar dissolves.
Cut steak into thin (about 1/16” thick) slices. Transfer to bowl with marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
Cut broccoli into (2” long, about 1”  wide) spears. If you have stems, trim off outer fibrous layer. Halve lengthwise and cut into 1” pieces. Cook broccoli in a 4 to 5 quart of boiling water seasoned with 1 ½ teaspoons salt. Cook broccoli until crisp tender, 2 minutes, then drain well.
Heat oil in a wok or large heavy skillet over medium high heat until it shimmers. Stir fry beef (scraped of excess marinade; in 2 batches if using a skillet) until it’s just no longer pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add broccoli and stir fry until just heated through, 2 minutes more. Whisk cornstarch into marinade, add to wok along with beef and continue to stir fry until liquid boils and just thickens, about 1 minute more.
2. I may have had an I'm-not-clinically-insane-but-after-this-incident-you-may-want-to-have-me-checked moment last night...I had an event at school until about 7:30pm and then went by a friend's apartment for a few minutes. When I got home I was overwhelmed with I-must-clean-or-the-world-WILL-end crazy. The kitchen is clean, now just to tackle every other room. I'm ready to not be living in mess, post-wedded, boxes, bags, mess. It's. gettin. real. clean.

3. So Grace... is super awesome and always seems to make something much more fantastic with her magical sewing abilities. Now that I have a desk maybe I should take the initiative to actually use my brain for something semi-creative. 

4. Joanna's trip to San Francisco did not help with my sudden/not so sudden itch to get away. I have been thinking about camping and other semi-close adventures that could be had lately. Especially this week when things were feeling kinda down in the dumps, all I could think about was taking a trip no matter how long or how short. I feel like sometimes a short weekend getaway can be just the thing to revive a tired and worn out soul. 


5. Sister date this weekend! Pumped.  

6. I am reeeeeeeeeeally wanting to bake these lil' yummies this weekend:

7. The State Fair of Texas opens this weekend! Ahh... the state fair. Filled with semi-deathly safe rides and all the fattening food your personal heaven is probably filled with. I am about to admit the blasphemy of all blasphemes for a Texan... I've never been. I always say I want to go, that I should go, that I NEED to go...yet never do. We get a day off of school (cue choir of angels) for the fair but going to the fair on a day when all of my students may be there does not sound like the best...for me or them. If I adventure out that sounds like a fat-drenched blog post that would need to be shared to the masses (hah or the two people that read my blog). 


Happy weekend!

(photo creds: here, here, & here)

1 comment:

  1. Despite: Living in the area all my life, getting the day off of schoool AND free tickets, and going to Fair Park at several OTHER times, I've never been to the state fair either.

    ReplyDelete